What is a Binga?

So a blog is a deeply personal thing; a place to pour your heart out and invite others to share in your experiences. You can cry, and laugh, and cheer - you can get mad or find a cause to believe in. But what happens when the blog you want to write is about a child? How do you weigh her privacy against sharing some of her stories so that people might empathize with her?


I've been struggling with these questions and plan to tread carefully and with her permission while bringing you to know her, so please meet Tobi; Our Little Binga. What is a Binga? We have no idea but we've been calling our youngest daughter a binga since the day she was born and this blog is for her!

Please follow us on our quest for a Service Dog for Tobi.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Excited & Relieved!

This picture was painted digitally by Tobi not long ago and was her first attempt at realism. An incredible picture if you ask me, and so perfect for this post.

After an emotional week, a rather depressing one watching Tobi's tics grow worse and good grief, I had to have a tooth extracted because health insurance wouldn't assist me in paying for a root canal - ugh!, I had such a wonderful phone call from a trainer in IN this afternoon. By the time we finished the phone call, I was ready to fire a canon loaded with confetti! Why? Because I *know* I've found the right person to train a service dog for Tobi.

Angel of OnQ Assistance Dogs answered all of my questions; it was clear she'd trained dogs for autistic children before and has a big understanding of what these children need in a service dog. She was easy to talk to, shared stories (good and bad!) with me, recommended people she has helped, and most importantly gave me a peace of mind I desperately needed.

So now that I know who we want to go through, it's time to buckle down on the fundraising!! A huge thank you to Lindsay for her billions of fantastic ideas, and to Jeanene for ALL of her help (especially for putting me in touch with a woman who referred me to OnQ and shared some of her journey in looking for an assistance dog for her son); and another big thank you to Laura for sharing Tobi's blog and to Barb for her support. My family and I thank all of you!

Stay tuned for new posts and more information on fundraising - we have a $1,000 to raise for the puppy deposit as soon as possible so that Tobi can get a pup from the recently born litter of sibes. We've seen pictures and they are precious! If you can help us raise the puppy deposit quickly, we will thank you with all our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment